AMS was proud to be present for the ground-breaking for the new Theatre Center of Writers Theatre on October 21. The celebratory event, attended by a capacity crowd of trustees, donors, artists, and project designers and consultants, marked the beginning of construction.
Located on Chicago’s North Shore, the 36,000-square-foot theatre center is designed to achieve LEED Gold certification. Among the key features in the new center:
- The 250-seat Alexandra C. and John D. Nichols Theatre purposefully designed to maintain Writers Theatre’s hallmark intimacy;
- The Gillian Theatre, a 50 to 99-seat flexible theatre space that pays tribute to Writers Theatre’s first performance space at Books on Vernon in Glencoe;
- A “Theatre in a Park” atmosphere, with patron access to surrounding parks, outdoor rooftop terraces, landscaped and rooftop gardens, and beautifully integrated views of existing parks to the east and west;
- A spacious main lobby, with many patron amenities, that functions as a central gathering area, where audience members and students will enjoy supplementary artistic, family and educational programs; and
- A luminous grand gallery walk, structured entirely from wood by renowned engineer Peter Heppel, suspended around the lobby and serving as viewing area and “front porch” to the building.